Appeal a benefit decision

If you feel your benefit claim has been stopped for no reason, or you that you have been paid incorrectly, you are entitled to appeal the decision.

You can contact your local Jobcentre Plus centre for more information about how to do this and to discuss your concerns.

You will need to make contact with the department who deals with the benefit you are appealing. A list of these, along with information on how the process works can be found at the following address:

Your local Citizens Advice Bureaux is a good place to start. They will be able to point you in the right direct of other local services that can support you through this lengthy process. Click here to find out more information about how they can help and to find your local branch.